The Morbid Anatomy Anthology
"The Morbid Anatomy Anthology"--edited by Joanna Ebenstein, Creative Director of the Morbid Anatomy Museum and founder of Morbid Anatomy, and Colin Dickey, Managing Director of The Morbid Anatomy Museum--will be ready to ship April, 2014. The 500 page, lavishly illustrated, hardbound and full color book features 28 essays based on some of the most memorable lectures hosted by Morbid Anatomy since 2008.
Included are essays by Evan Michelson (star of Science Channel’s hit show "Oddities") on the catacombs of Palermo, Simon Chaplin (head of the Wellcome Library) on public displays of corpses in Georgian England, mortician Caitlin Doughty on demonic children, and Paul Koudounaris (author of "Empire of Death") on a truck stop populated with human skulls.
In addition are pieces on books bound in human skin, fin de siècle death-themed Parisian cafes, post-mortem photography, eroticized anatomical wax models, taxidermied humans and other animals, Santa Muerte, “artist of death” Frederik Ruysch, and much more.
Contributors: Chiara Ambrosio, Stephen T. Asma, Zoe Beloff, Elizabeth L. Bradley, Simon Chaplin, Mark Dery, Colin Dickey, Caitlin Doughty, Joanna Ebenstein, Richard Faulk, Kate Forde, Mel Gordon, Richard Harris, Amy Herzog, Amber Jolliffe, Vadim Kosmos, Paul Koudounaris, Ross MacFarlane, Dániel Margócsy, Evan Michelson, Pat Morris, Salvador Olguín, David Pescovitz, Carl Schoonover, Daniel K. Smith, Shannon Taggart, Ronni Thomas, and John Troyer.
- What a Wonderful World / David Pescovitz
- Giuliu Camillo: Renaissance Scholar, Con Man, & Father of the Kabbalistic Theatre / Mel Gordon
- Staging the Unconscious / Zoe Beloff
- Memento Mori: Reflections on the Art of the Tableau / Amy Herzog
- The Birth of Venus / Joanna Ebenstein
- Tough / Carl Schoonover
- A Philosophy of Wax: The Anatomy of Frederik Ruysch / Dániel Margócsy
- Naples: In The Court of Miracles / Chiara Ambrosio
- Ghost Images: The Curious Afterlife of Postmortem Photographs / Mark Dery
- Stuffed Humans / Pat Morris
- At the [Human] Zoo: A Sampling of Ethnographic Exhibitions on the Modern World / Elizabeth L. Bradley
- The Withering Crowd / Evan Michelson
- Look Not Upon Them! Maternity & the Monstrous Imagination / Stephen T. Asma
- Demonic Children & Their Curious Absence in the European Witch Trials / Caitlin Doughty
- Anatomy or an Ottamy? Bodies on Show in Georgian London / Simon Chaplin
- Staging Science at Wellcome Collection: Anatomical Models in Context / Kate Forde
- Soap Stories: The Mysterious Life & Dreadful Afterlife of the Mütter Museum’s Adipocere Body / Richard Faulk
- The False Atrium: Notes on Mourning / Colin Dickey
- Skulls and Big Rigs: The World’s Strangest Truck Stop / Paul Koudounaris
- Empress and Lover: Personifying Death in Mexico / Salvador Olguín - Morbid Curiosity Meets Morbid Anatomy / Richard Harris
- Death and Doctor Buchan / Ross MacFarlane
- Bound In Human Skin: A Survey of Examples
of Anthropodermic Bibliopegy / Daniel K. Smith
- The Devil in Three Dimensions / Ronni Thomas
- Anthropomorphic Mouse Taxidermy Class / Amber Jolliffe
- The Spiritualists / Shannon Taggart
- On the Non-Denial Denial of Death / John Troyer
- Hell Époque: Death-Themed Cabarets & Other Macabre Entertainments of Nineteenth Century Paris / Vadim Kosmos
500 pages, hardcover, over 170 color images.
5.8 in. by 8.3 in.